ftp.delorie.com/archives/browse.cgi   search  
Mail Archives: cygwin-apps/2001/06/13/09:11:12

Mailing-List: contact cygwin-apps-help AT sourceware DOT cygnus DOT com; run by ezmlm
Sender: cygwin-apps-owner AT sourceware DOT cygnus DOT com
List-Subscribe: <mailto:cygwin-apps-subscribe AT sources DOT redhat DOT com>
List-Archive: <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/>
List-Post: <mailto:cygwin-apps AT sources DOT redhat DOT com>
List-Help: <mailto:cygwin-apps-help AT sources DOT redhat DOT com>, <http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#faqs>
Delivered-To: mailing list cygwin-apps AT sources DOT redhat DOT com
From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf DOT Habacker AT saght DOT tessag DOT com>
To: "Cygwin-Xfree" <cygwin-xfree AT sources DOT redhat DOT com>,
"Cygwin-Apps" <cygwin-apps AT cygwin DOT com>
Subject: AW: ask for delivering cygwin 1.1.8 with kde 1.1.2
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:52:05 +0200
Message-ID: <002c01c0f407$a6303720$6e032bb7@BRAMSCHE>
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 8.5, Build 4.71.2173.0
Importance: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400
In-reply-to: <7F2B9185F0196F44B59990759B91B1C2505D31@ins-exch.inspirepharm.com>

> > > Will it not cause version skew with Cygwin/XFree86?
> >
> > No, you're not using this symbol. I have installed running
> > xfree 4.0.3 and
> > 4.1.0 with cygwin 1.1.8.
>
>
> OK, as you say :-)
I like to add as i need it for kde and that means the dlls/XWin- and some
fonts-package
>
> Next question!  What about setup.exe.  Do you plan to modify setup.exe
> which can install Xfree86 and KDE?
>
I like to modify surely, but I anticipate, that I'm not able to do this
because of to little knowledge of low api windows programming. (I cna write
a delphi app, but this is not what is needed here.) Perhaps I can contribute
some things, but for the main writing, we have to look for another guy.

Ralf


> Suhaib
>
> >
> > > We build XFree86 always with latest version of Cygwin1.dll.
> >  If your KDE
> > needs Cygwin > 1.1.8, then  either we will end up maitaining
> > various version
> > sof binaries or
> > > users may end up compiling themselves.
> > > If you post older version of XFree86 linked to older Cygwin
> > DLLs, you will
> > > be inviting a
> > > support nightmare for the people at Cygwin/XFree86 mailing list.
> > > Therefore
> > > I wanted everyone who
> > > is involved in Cygwin/XFree86 project knows about your KDE
> > port and has
> > > something to say.
> > > I will not oppose posting older releases of Cygwin/Xfree86,
> > but, as Chris
> > > said, I will not
> > > be a happy camper either because developers at
> > Cygwin/Xfree86 project will
> > > need to deal with
> > > version skew issues otther support issues.
> >
> > I understand and hope although that I can use the newest
> > cygwin, but this
> > means
> > to check on every new cygwin update if kde is running. You
> > can see on the
> > change from 1.1.8 to 1.3.x it could be, that some minor release are
> > nesessary to get some applications running like the socket
> > problems I have.
> > (for which it isn't clear, where the bug is: in the
> > cygwin.dll or in kde)
> >
> > My plan is to release only a few beta releases of kde-1.1.2
> > and than leave
> > the 1.1.2 line, because the next step is porting kde-2, which
> > is much more
> > interesting. For me kde-1.2.2 is only a preperation step to learn kde
> > fundamentals.
> >
> > Ralf
> > >
> > > Suhaib
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: Ralf Habacker [mailto:Ralf DOT Habacker AT saght DOT tessag DOT com]
> > > > Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 6:33 AM
> > > > To: Cygwin-Apps
> > > > Cc: Suhaib Siddiqi; Alan Hourihane; Robert Collins
> > > > Subject: AW: ask for delivering cygwin 1.1.8 with kde 1.1.2
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > Betreff: RE: ask for delivering cygwin 1.1.8 with kde 1.1.2
> > > > >
> > > > > cygwin-apps. (KDE is a ported application).
> > > > >
> > > > > I've removed Chris from the cc, as I know he is subscribed.
> > > > >
> > > > > So, Ralf, as I understand it the question is, why do
> > you need cygwin
> > > > > 1.1.8, and an older ncurses?
> > > > >
> > > > 1. I have reported ealier in the cygwin list about unix
> > > > socket problems,
> > > > which occurs only on using cygwin 1.3.2.
> > > > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg01684.html
> > > > After debugging kde, currently I have no idea what's going
> > > > wrong. Curiously
> > > > with cygwin 1.1.8 there is no problem. One reason may be the
> > > > relocation
> > > > problem found in cygwin by Robert Collins, but the sockets
> > > > problems still
> > > > remains.
> > > >
> > > > Currently I preparing a test environment for me, i think I
> > > > can tell more
> > > > soon.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > 2. applications or linbs linked with cygwin 1.3.2 like
> > > > ncurses reference a
> > > > pointer "check_for_executable" used by the method
> > > > path_conv::exec_state().
> > > > This isn't available under cygwin 1.1.8. So if one
> > > > application or lib is
> > > > linked with cygwin 1.3.2 it will never runs under cygwin
> > > > 1.1.8. Especially
> > > > in deep nested applications like kde this wilkl produced
> > much support
> > > > problems.
> > > >
> > > > It is not possible to put this var into the structure
> > pointed by the
> > > > impure_ptr (or somewhere else) to prevent such incompatibility ?
> > > >
> > > > > Does using ld without the auto-image-base solve your issues
> > > > with cygwin
> > > > > 1.3.2?
> > > >
> > > > You need to all -Wl,--export-all-symbols. Without that
> > --whole-archive
> > > > doesn't do anything.
> > > > Additional I have recognized a problem in using static libs,
> > > > but this I have
> > > > to analyse more.
> > > >
> > > > > What issues do you have with the latest ncurses?
> > > > look at 2.
> > > > ncurses 2.5-5 needs "check_for_executable", so if you update
> > > > the cygwin
> > > > installation with it, some kde applications will not work
> > > > (especiallyx kvt).
> > > > Look below for additional informations relating dependency
> > > > problematic.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Dependency problems
> > > > Some libs like jpeglib are named with the major revision
> > > > number, but without
> > > > the minor /release or buildnumber for examples cygjpeg6b.dll or
> > > > ncurses5.dll.
> > > >
> > > > Especially for the jepglib there is an additional runtime
> > > > checking if the
> > > > caller has compiled in the same version lib (with build-number).
> > > >
> > > > So when I compile kde with cygjpeg6b-2 and some time later
> > > > someone updates
> > > > his jpeglib to Release 6b-4, kde will not be able to run
> > > > because of this
> > > > runtime checking.
> > > >
> > > > Because of this I decided for kde to use dlls with
> > detailed name (for
> > > > example kdecore-2-0-0.dll) so that multiple installed
> > versions of one
> > > > package/lib are possibly.
> > > >
> > > > The cygwin installer doesn't care about such dependencies, so
> > > > currently, it
> > > > would be easier to supply depending libs with the kde (or
> > > > other toplevel
> > > > packages) package with the resulting problem of equal
> > named dlls with
> > > > different versions.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > > Ralf
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Rob
> > > > >
> > > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > > From: Ralf Habacker [mailto:Ralf DOT Habacker AT saght DOT tessag DOT com]
> > > > > > Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:17 PM
> > > > > > To: Alan Hourihane; Christopher Faylor; Robert Collins;
> > > > Suhaib Siddiqi
> > > > > > Subject: Re: ask for delivering cygwin 1.1.8 with kde 1.1.2
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > >I will forward you one of his email from this morning.  I do
> > > > > > not think he
> > > > > > >Asked these questions on the mailing list.  Perhaps if you
> > > > > > answer him and
> > > > > > >ask him if he will be willing to move the discussion to
> > > > > > mailing list so
> > > > > > >others can join too????
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi all,
> > > > > > which list we should use for this cygwinb or cygwin/xfree ?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Regards
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Ralf Habacker
> > > > > > EMail: Ralf AT habacker DOT de
> > > > > >        Ralf DOT Habacker AT saght DOT tessag DOT com
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

- Raw text -


  webmaster     delorie software   privacy  
  Copyright 2019   by DJ Delorie     Updated Jul 2019