Mail Archives: djgpp/2002/04/02/12:31:02
This is to announce that the DJGPP port of GNU Diffutils version 2.8
is now available from SimTel.NET mirrors:
The first of these two includes precompiled binaries and docs, the
second includes the sources used to build the programs and their
Diffutils are a collection of programs for finding differences
* diff -- displays differences between 2 files line by line;
* diff3 -- displays differences between 3 files (usually, 2 files
and their common ancestor);
* sdiff -- displays differences between 2 files side by side, and
allows to merge between them interactively;
* cmp -- displays differences between 2 binary files byte by byte.
The documentation of the package includes, in addition to the 4
programs mentioned above, also the manual for the Patch utility.
The changes in this release as compared to the previous release
(v2.7.2) are mostly minor. Some of the more noteworthy include:
- new options to Diff that strip trailing CR characters and ignore
- ISO 8601 style time stamps in Diff's output;
- sdiff and diff3 accept a new option --diff-program=PROGRAM.
See the file NEWS in the distribution for the full list of changes.
An additional improvement in this port is that it was built with
patched C library, and so should avoid the known problems in the DOS
box and the DPMI server on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. (Most
problems are related to running subsidiary DPMI programs, like when
diff3 or sdiff invoke diff, and to various LFN system calls.)
Therefore, DJGPP users whose systems run W2K and XP are encouraged to
The ported code is the same version as in the official GNU release,
with a single exception: I fixed a bug in detection of binary files by
the Diff program (the changes were sent to the maintainer).
Please direct any further discussions about this announcement (or the
ported package in general) to the comp.os.msdos.djgpp news group, or
its email gateway djgpp AT delorie DOT com.
- Raw text -